How do I obtain a copy of my child's file?

You can request access to your child’s records as long as you are authorised to obtain such access. It is essential to distinguish between two components of the client record. 

  • The ‘Confidential Client File’ (sometimes called ‘practitioner notes’), and
  • The ‘Client Service Record” (sometimes called ‘client/unit record’). 

Confidential Client File 

This is the sensitive material that may contain confidential, sometimes very intimate, information about the client and even about third parties (such as partners, parents, or children); it may also include diagnostic material created by the practitioner which may be private to the practitioner. This file may also contain test records, formal treatment plans or evaluations, or a formal medico-legal report. This is the material about which our obligations for providing client privacy under the Code of Ethics are most relevant. Under some state and territory Acts, a client may have qualified access to this part of the record or file. 

Client Service Record 

This is the less sensitive section (largely administrative material) and includes dates and nature of service, basic client demographics and contact details, formal correspondence with third parties, and perhaps store accounts and standard administrative forms. A brief summary for the team or referrer may also be stored here as such reports are often shared with other professionals already, although this may be open to variation.

Requesting access

A parent or guardian of a client may ask a practitioner for access to their child’s records. A practitioner will facilitate access to permissible sections of the material. Please note that, sometimes, Quirky Kid will only provide the information requested as the complete record is not always relevant. 

In some situations, in accordance with the law, we may also decline a parent or guardian’s access to their child’s records.

To request access to your child’s file, you must:

  1. Send an email to detailing:
    1. the name and address of your child;
    2. the particular health information you seek access to; and
    3. the form in which you would like to receive the information.
  2. Provide us with evidence of your parent authority or guardianship over the child.

Here are some ways that we might provide you with access to your child’s information:

  • Teleconference: this is the most suitable option for providing information to a third party, such as a school counsellor or psychologist. This is also recommended for when you and/or your child have moved away.
  • Clinical meeting: the child, parent or guardian and psychologist meet to read the material and, if necessary, discuss what has been written.
  • A written summary report, or
  • In very rare cases, a copy of the material.

Please note that the file and its content is the property of Quirky Kid, not the client.

Access by courts 

A psychologist’s records may be subpoenaed by courts of law or obtained under a warrant by law enforcement authorities. The psychologist must comply with such requests. 

However, in conjunction with the provision of the subpoenaed material, the psychologist may make a written request of the court to withhold some or all of the confidential material from access by the court if it is highly sensitive information and has no bearing on the case. Such a request will usually be heard by the court on the day the material is due to be submitted. The principle here is the protection of the client or a third party from harm or unwarranted intrusion.


There is an administrative cost to provide a copy of the material to a client. The cost is specified on our Schedule of Fees.

Please refer to our Privacy Policy for a more detailed explanation of your right to access your child’s information.

Did this answer your question? Thanks for the feedback There was a problem submitting your feedback. Please try again later.

Still need help? Contact Us Contact Us